Wednesday, March 4, 2009

recipe for a strong marriage

a friend of mine, inspired by this new blog, posted on her private blog a good recipe for a strong marriage: have a good attitude and don't take offense easily.

when i read that i had to agree. a lot of times conflict can be avoided if we have a good attitude about things, and are willing to give our partner the benefit of a doubt, which leads to not taking offense easily by what is said or done.

i have noticed in my own marriage that most times when i have taken offense by something my husband had done or said that is was unfounded, and that what i thought was going on or he may have meant was the furthest from the truth. do you think that could have anything to do with the fact that women read a lot into things?

i am glad i realize now that giving my husband the benefit of a doubt is what is making me happier in our relationship. after all, i am not perfect either, right?

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. After being through a divorce and taking some classes on the matter (not that I took offense excessively in my previous marriage and relationships) I have come to learn that even those little things, those pet peeves are not worth griping about. Keeping the positive feelings a majority in the marriage is SO important. I'm happy about your new blog Naomi, and look forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks lisa, i appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete