Thursday, March 19, 2009

date nights are oh so special and important

i am really excited that my husband and i will be going on a date night this saturday. we usually enjoy going to dinner and a movie, but with two little ones and his crazy school schedule it's been really hard for us to get out together as often as we would like to, and probably should, too.

marriage books and counselors emphasis this one-on-one date night for couples, especially after kids have joined the family. in one of my classes about family relations, i learned that a family is often compared to a house and that the foundation of that house is the relationship between the husband and the wife. if that relationship suffers, everything else suffers as well. i believe this to be so true.

my husband and i have made goals about date nights so many times, i really hope we will stick to it this time. saturday will be the second date night this month, a new record for us, so to speak! *smile*

i also find that date nights don't have to be anything fancy. the other night my husband brought home the movie Australia and insisted in me stopping what i was doing right then and watching it with him. at first, i was kind of annoyed a little, i have to admit, because i reserve my evenings for finishing up everything i wasn't able to do throughout the day: cleaning the kitchen, folding the clothes, checking emails, updating blogs, watching my shows, etc. BUT, i am not stupid either, if my husband asks me to do something with him, i know i better do it! because let's face it, how many times does he actually initiate spending time with me? well, to be fair, not never, but not as much as i'd like to either...

it turned out to be quite the romantic evening, us watching a movie together, sitting by each other, arm in arm, experiencing the same emotions throughout the movie. it was so much better than finishing up my tasks from the day, that can always wait until tomorrow, but that evening with my husband was so special, i am glad i didn't miss it!!!

what are some fun date night ideas you have and enjoy as a couple???

1 comment:

  1. we usually did dinner and a movie. now that our son has diabetes, we don't get to go out as we don't have anyone that knows how to care for him. I really miss the nights out, but feel blessed that we had many before diagnosis. now we just have family nights out, or get creative when the kids go to bed ;)

    ReplyDelete